Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Newsies


Okay. Newsies. This is the first show that I spent full-price on. At the time, I had heard nothing but good things about it, I was in love with Jeremy Jordan from Bonnie and Clyde, and it was still a limited engagement with a lottery rush. I HAD to see it because, as someone who was not part of this cult who loved the 1992 movie starring Christian Bale (yes, Batman), I had some pretty high expectations for it.

I don't want to say those expectations weren't met...but...they weren't. And now is about when I get assassinated via the internet by crazy Newsies fans. I'M SORRY, but I don't get the appeal! In fact, I will go so far to say if Andrew Keenan-Bolger (Crutchie) and Jeremy Jordan (Jack Kelly) were not in it, I'd be kind of pissed that I spent over $100 on this for my birthday.

Now, I'm not saying it's not a great show, because clearly people are LOVING it, but it just was not my cup of tea. Let's talk about the choreography for a second, though. THAT was amazing. The men in this musical are absolutely OUTSTANDING. I loved them. I may not have cared about what the action was, but when they were dancing, nothing else in the world mattered. I could not stop staring at them with my mouth agape, genuinely impressed. It has been so long since I have seen that level of talent in a musical and it was refreshing to see something so choreographed. I was just so impressed. I have never seen something more deserving of a Tony in my life and I'm glad they were awarded with the Best Choreography Tony. Kudos.

The music was okay. I didn't buy the entire cast recording, but I bought a few songs including "Santa Fe," "The World Will Know," "Seize the Day," and "Brooklyn's Here." Those are the four that really stood out to me, and "Santa Fe" was extra perfect because it was Jeremy Jordan's big belt number. Jeremy Jordan is a phenomenal performer and he really lights up a stage. He's a star. I can't wait to see more from him.

Andrew Keenan-Bolger as Crutchie is absolutely perfect. I wish he was (spoiler alert) in the second act. That may have made me like it less, because I was so Crutchie-less for so long. He's charming and so fun and he's just so amazing. I'm surprised he wasn't nominated for a Tony. 

I did not like Kara Lindsay at all as the Bill Murray character from the film combined with the Sarah character. Her voice made me want to jump off of the mezzanine. Sorry. She also seemed like a hastily created character (which she probably was) and I just didn't...feel anything for her. I didn't need Jack Kelly to end up with her. I don't think it would've hurt to include David and Les's family life - this show definitely could've used more female characters. I didn't see the film, but I like this part of the synopsis when Jack meets their family and everything. It could've been sweet if it was done well. I like to think it couldn't be done well, so they cut it, though - something more shows (especially musical adaptations of films) should try. 

The set was neat, if you go see it, don't sit too far back in the orchestra - I was advised not to since the set is so high, the mezzanine cuts off some of the action that happens on the third story of the set. The set was kind of neat, but nothing to write home about. I enjoyed the projections - something that seems to be increasingly common in Broadway productions (Bonnie and Clyde, Rent, etc.) and they were used very well in this production. 

I can't quite pinpoint why I wasn't so blown away with this show. Maybe because it was so hyped up and everyone was like, "You will love it," and my friends have been obsessing about it since it was at Paper Mill. Once was enough for me. If you love the movie, I'd see it, but if you're on the fence, I definitely wouldn't rush to pay full price (though the lottery will probably be crazy for a while if Wicked is any indication). 

I'd give Newsies (for me) a B-. It did not live up to the hype for me. Newsies has been extended from a limited engagement to an open run, currently playing at the Nederlander. Jeremy Jordan has left to film Smash and Corey Cott is now Jack Kelly. To get tickets and learn more, visit www.newsiesthemusical.com

No comments:

Post a Comment