Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Streetcar Named Desire



Okay, so A Streetcar Named Desire came back to Broadway with a black cast and everyone was like "Whoa!!!!!!!" but I'm really not sure why, because I didn't even notice. My family wanted to see this more than I did, so we went when they came in for my birthday/to move me back home for the summer. 

I have never seen the movie and I have never read the play, so I wasn't quite sure what I was in for (I know, how could I have not seen or read such an iconic piece when I was a theater major AND I'm currently getting a Masters in cinema studies? Oopsies), but it was certainly something interesting.

Wood Harris was charming and I felt really bad for him/I was angry at him for not making a bigger effort with Blanche, but that has nothing to do with him and everything with the way it was written. He definitely held his own in such a strong cast and I really enjoyed watching him.

Daphne Rubin-Vega was endearing as Stella and I really enjoyed her performance. I didn't like Stella, but not because of her, just because of what she does and how she acts. She had good chemistry with Blair Underwood and they clearly had a tumultuous, primal relationship. It was really great.

Blair Underwood was GREAT. My mom said he wasn't as raw as Marlon Brando, but since I have nothing to compare him to, I thought he did a good job. He was annoying and terrible and despicable and it was really great. Like I said about End of the Rainbow, I like when a play leaves a complicated feeling in my stomach and this one more certainly did. 

Nicole Ari Parker was AMAZING. She was an absolutely brilliant and beautiful Blanche and I'm so stunned and offended that there was not more hype surrounding her and that she didn't get any nominations. She, not unlike Tracie Bennett, was stunning in such an uncomfortable and sad way, especially since they are women who are suffering from mental collapse. Blanche is so complex and Parker just absolutely blew me away. It's been months and I'm still just flabbergasted by how outstanding she was. I really cannot wait to see her on stage in something else because she was phenomenal. She was manic and disconnected and fake and static and when Stanley rapes Blanche and she comes back clearly broken, it breaks your heart. I have never felt worse at the end of a play than I did at the end of Streetcar, but in a good way that I feel was the intention. She does an excellent job of making you feel terrible for Blanche, despite the fact that Blanche is not a very good character and not admirable at all - she's kind of terrible, but a lot less so than abusive Stanley or passive Stella.

I really liked the set and the jazz music that was included in this production. It gave the image of a hot, humid summer's day in the south and it really felt like it was there and happening and real. Blanche's costumes were amazing. I loved all of them. She looked so beautiful and it was so tragic to see her dressed as a perfect lady and knowing it was just a cover for this horribly broken and destroyed woman. Costume Design was the one Tony nomination that this show did receive.

I give this performance an A. It was really good and it was really strong. Again, I had nothing to compare it to, but I will probably be watching the film adaptation the next time it comes on TCM. This was only a limited engagement and the show closed July 22nd, 2012, after 105 performances and 23 previews.


No comments:

Post a Comment