Wednesday, September 12, 2012

End of the Rainbow


I. LOVE. JUDY. GARLAND. So, when I heard there was a play coming chronicling her last few performances, I had to go. I had to. I also had never seen something classified as a play on Broadway, yet, so this was exciting for me.

Let's talk about the set first. It was absolutely beautiful and plush as the hotel. It was warm and extravagant just like they were during the 60s. The stage smoothly transitioned back and forth between Judy's performance spaces and this hotel and I really enjoyed that. It was beautiful and the lights were nice and romantic. The costumes were equally amazing and appropriate to the period and classy. It was plush and rich and elegant, even if Judy wasn't.

Tom Pelphrey played Mickey Deans, Judy's manager and last husband. He was deliciously sleazy. I was a little sad, because initially he started off seeming like a good guy with good intentions, keeping Judy sober and making sure she was together and getting on the stage for her performances, but towards the end he just lost it and when he force feeds her pills, it was the most uncomfortable thing I witnessed on stage, maybe ever - which is good! Plays should not always be happy and sunshine, they should make an audience feel different emotions.

Michael Cumpsty was absolutely charming as Anthony, Judy's gay friend and pianist. He absolutely broke my heart at the end when he was begging Judy to marry him and he could take care of her and they could live in the country.  It was so tragic because he clearly cared about her and truly had her best interests at heart and he just wanted to save his friend, but she didn't want to be saved and chose Mickey instead. Cumpsty was nominated for a Tony and he was really great. His moments with Tracie Bennett were charming and sweet, especially when he gets her ready for a performance by putting on her makeup. He was poised and deliberate and it was a great performance by him. 

Which brings us to the star, Ms. Tracie Bennett as Judy Garland. This was a truly OUTSTANDING performance. I laughed, I cried, I felt uncomfortable, I felt sad. I didn't see any of the other women nominated for Lead Actress in a Musical, but I was irate when Tracie Bennett did not win for this performance. She truly made you forget at some points that you were not watching Judy. It was really sad to watch, because as good as she was, she was also very manic and high-energy in the way addicts typically are and it broke my heart to think of Judy Garland in this way, so close to the end of her death. Most of what she says is funny in a very sad way, because she doesn't necessarily mean it to be funny - it's just how she saw the world. She honestly blew me away and by the end of the show I was bawling.

I really enjoyed the format of the play, juggling between recreating these performances and the behind-the-scenes action. It was an interesting change of pace from a typical static play and I'm intrigued to see more of this come out into Broadway, like Peter and the Starcatcher

End of the Rainbow was probably one of my favorite shows that I saw. I give this an A+. It really affects you. Unfortunately, End of the Rainbow closed on Broadway on August 19th, 2012, after just 176 performances. Fortunately, rumor has it that there will be a film adaptation starring Tracie Bennett so everyone will be able to see what a star she is. Maybe she'll even get some Oscar recognition! 

No comments:

Post a Comment