Monday, September 10, 2012

How I Learned to Drive


Wow. How I Learned to Drive. What a show. I first read this play while I was in high school, not paying attention during an English class. It was in our anthology and I started reading it (we were talking about Julius Caesar  - no, thanks) and finished it by the time the period was over and I was horrified and captivated at the same time. Since then, I've always been interested to see how it was done, so I was excited to hear that it was going to be done this year, especially with Norbert Leo Butz (even though that scared me).


I love Norbert Leo Butz. I wish I had been able to see him in The Last Five Years because I love that show's music and I'm sure he was absolutely incredible. He has the voice of angels. I was nervous to see him in this because he wasn't singing and because he was Uncle Peck. Just to give you some background, this is the general synopsis of the play from Wikipedia:

"The story follows the strained, sexual relationship between Li'l Bit and her aunt's husband, Uncle Peck, from her adolescence through her teenage years into college and beyond. Using the metaphor of driving and the issues ofpedophiliaincest, and misogyny, the play explores the ideas of control and manipulation."

It is definitely not a show that you leave feeling okay with. I left feeling kind of uncomfortable and stunned, despite knowing what was going to happen and it gets very raw and it can be a little hard to take. I think it was acted beautifully, though I think Elizabeth Reaser was a little...dramatic. It's a dramatic show, but she played young in a very sort of stereotypical way and she was a little loud and a little static. It would've been interesting to see what the Twihards who were there thought, because there were definitely people waiting for her after with DVDs and books for her to sign. 

The chorus was a little strange, but I really enjoyed the end when Li'l Bit both, flips out on Uncle Peck after he asks a question when she's in college and when the audience gets to see how this all started - the first time Uncle Peck feels Li'l Bit up in the car. The whole play is a little unsettling, especially, because it's clearly not entirely all Uncle Peck, which really makes an audience member question what they know and what's right versus what's wrong. At one point, Li'l Bit's mother and aunt both confront her about what she's doing and how it is wrong - which is a little disconcerting because she is a child, but she's also old enough to know what she's doing.

The stage was neat and really pretty. There wasn't too much to say, it stayed more or less the same throughout the entire show, with lighting and props playing a big part in really changing up where we are. It reminded me a lot of the productions put on at the Pittsburgh Public Theater, which made me a little soft, thinking about home.

It is a  very thought-provoking play and it certainly makes the audience think after - which is something I love about plays. I love musicals because they are so happy and upbeat and usually resolve neatly, but when a play is not afraid to be dark and go some place that the audience may find uncomfortable, I find that to be the best. 

All in all, I'd give this show a solid B. Norbert Leo Butz was really outstanding as Uncle Peck and I did feel bad for him, unfortunately Elizabeth Reaser brought it down a little bit. This show closed March 11, 2011. 

No comments:

Post a Comment