Monday, June 18, 2012

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying



I saw How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (H2$) in November. It was the first show that I saw on Broadway when I went to school. It was the first Broadway show I also really enjoyed (I saw Chicago and Tarzan in high school, less than impressed, but that's a story for another time). 


I can say 100% that the only reason why I went to see H2$ was to see Daniel Radcliffe. I wasn't even really going to do this, but I kept hearing such phenomenal things about him and people were genuinely surprised (and pissed off) that he wasn't nominated for a Tony. I had to go see for myself if he was really good or if these are just die-hard Potterheads (such as myself) who just want Daniel Radcliffe to get recognition. 


I don't entirely enjoy this show or that many shows from this era in general. They're a little TOO hokey and tongue-in-cheek and I find them to be a little repetitive and boring. That being said, I felt that way about this one as well, but I did enjoy it a lot more than I initially expected to. 


Daniel Radcliffe was absolutely phenomenal. I was so pleasantly surprised and I thought for sure, being one of the Potterheads, that I would not be able to separate him from Harry Potter - but I really was surprised. Not once throughout the entire performance did I think of Harry Potter, n'or that I was watching the boy who portrays Harry Potter. He put his entire heart and soul in that performance and I really enjoyed watching him. He was having so much fun and it really was infectious and it felt as though the entire theater was just in an upbeat great mood whenever he was around. I can see why he wasn't nominated for the Tony, because he is not that strong of a singer and there were a ton of amazing men in the 2011 season for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical, but he is an excellent dancer and attention must be paid to how much he worked for this part and how he never missed a performance. He has a work ethic that many people lack and it really shines through in his performances - he does not rest on his laurels and that's admirable.


Similarly, John Larroquette shone on that stage. I found myself unable to take my eyes off of him whenever he was in clear view and he was absolutely hilarious. He deserved that Tony Award he received. He was jovial and strict. Scary and lovable. The perfect business complement to Daniel Radcliffe's endearing, yet slimy Finch. They both did a great job being these heartless businessmen that are rather slimy, but still being endearing and absolutely hilarious - something that is not easy, no matter how hard the writing may try. John Larroquette was so energetic and it really played well with all of the characters. 


Christopher Hanke was perfect for this role. I absolutely loved to hate him and he was so talented. He really stood out at times and it was really enjoyable to watch his facial expressions. Similarly, Rose Hemingway was really a treat to watch and she sort of reminded me of Renee Zelleweger in that Down With Love movie that she did with Ewan McGregor (in a good way). She was quirky, but endearing and she had a beautiful voice. She was absolutely spectacular. The only problem was that the chemistry with Rose Hemingway and Daniel Radcliffe felt really off (probably because he looks seventeen and she looks twenty-five). I did not quite buy this relationship, but they did the best they could and I really enjoyed "Been a Long Day." It was probably one of my favorite performances throughout the entire show (besides "Grand Old Ivy") while I waited for what is the show-stopping "Brotherhood of Men."


The costumes were really outstanding. I loved them all. They fit well, they looked amazing, and they provided enough movement for for all of the outstanding dance numbers. I'm always so impressed with theater costumes and like to really stare at every detail and she how authentic they look and how they allow dancers (if there are dancers) to move. These were really outstanding. They looked like flawlessly tailored suits, but the choreography was really great and they were able to do it.


The choreography was really outstanding. I'm glad dance-heavy shows and revivals are trying to wiggle back into the spotlight, because they really add a little something different and fanciful. There's something magical about a musical and the dancing really helps to take an audience there. 


The set was so neat! I really enjoyed the multiple levels and the way that they were able to just roll in and out. I also really loved JB's office - it was really warm and cozy and felt like a real wooden, fancy office. Beautiful.


Overall, it was better than I expected, but once was enough. I made no real rush to go see Darren Criss or Nick Jonas in the Finch role, and once John Larroquette was replaced by Beau Bridges, I really stopped caring. I was a little bored whenever Daniel Radcliffe and/or John Larroquette were not on stage, but when they were on stage (especially together) I could not stop laughing and I really just felt like I was watching two great friends interact. After Grand Old Ivy, while everyone was applauding, the two broke character to laugh and catch their breaths and it was perfect. Sometimes things like that are really great to see - the audience should get to see how much actors love their job.


I would give this a solid B. Unfortunately, the show closed May 20th, 2012 after 473 regular performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment